Thursday, April 24, 2008

That thing Malaria!

Well it's time to get it all out in the open. I have been meaning to write about this topic for a while now. Maybe it's time to do so, especially since most people think that AIDS is what most humans die of in Africa. I'm not saying that it's worse than Malaria, but one can't compare. It seems to kill more people, and there is no prevention. You will get bitten by a mozzie no matter what, if that female is out to bite you and bring you the dreaded Malaria, she will get to you nets, tabard and all. I know this from experience. Take for example, myself, I smear myself with tabard every night, I sleep under a mosquito net, we have the house sprayed once a month, and we have the garden sprayed once a week. We keep the doors closed most of the time, we don't go outside without long pants, long sleeve shirts and enough Tabard to keep me from buying my favourite perfume (part of the Kenzo range, because I never get to use the current one, as it is overpowered by the African range. Now, Paul hardly gets bitten, and yet he was the one that got hit with Cerebral Malaria. Aimee, our housekeeper, has a little boy, only 10 years old, living in Kisangani which is a 6 day trip on a barge up the river. He has been admitted to a clinic with Malaria, and statistics say that most children under 5 years don't survive. Well most people don't survive the cerebral malaria, or are misdiagnosed, and don't receive the proper treatment.
We will pray for him, and this is not the last that I will be writing about this topic.....

No comments: