Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Desperately Seeking Roberg's!

I have decided to do a geneology search for my ancestral heritage. Where, why and what for? I've always wanted to know my roots, and figure out if I have any living relatives in Norway.
It took me one week on the internet to figure out that I've come to a stumbling block. I can't read or write Norwegian, and trying to read a census from 1888 ( The year my Grandfather was born in Norway) is ludicrous! Although there are many links from those Roberg's that migrated to the USA from the 1900's, that is just not where my roots are from.
I have visited Norway, stayed with Paul's Norwegian family, loved the beautiful countryside and the snow! I have a sense of knowing that when I looked down over Oslo from the airplane, that this was really home! My Grandfather was an engineer on a whaling ship, that docked in Cape Town, en route to Antartica. He fell in love with the city, and my Grandmother, who was from Italian stock.

My next big step is try and read through the Digital Archives, and search for Church records of the place where my Grandfather was born. It will be a major milestone to find one bit of info, to put the puzzle together! Wish me luck!

No comments: