Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Today's Visit!

Marianne picked me up this morning after yoga at 9:15am and I was late, so caught her playing with Fin in the garden. I mean who wouldn't want to play with our lively dog in a beautiful garden on a warm sunny morning. It took us about 45minutes to get to Binza, and we side-tracked onto a dirt road. The weather was much cooler out there, it clouded over and eventually it started to rain. We went through a white barrier with a guard who greeted us, and drove through to the last building, which looked nicely painted and fairly new. I was told that a South African company operating in the DRC donated the money for the construction of this building. The orphanage houses about 60 children in different sections of the huge property run by an Italian man. He has been here in the Congo, with the children for over 30 years. Marianne, herself has been coming here for 5 years.
The first section we visited, was with the handicapped children, which Marianne feels need more attention than most. some of them don't get to leave their beds. We handed out a few construction toys to the children on the stoep, and helped them try to build it. I expected the worst in conditions, but was fairly surprised at the good, clean and livable place, these children call home. What I was not expecting was a little fight that went on between 3 little boys, and they managed to clunk Marianne on the head with a wooden toy in the battle. These children, yearn for attention, and just need to be given a short time of your love and affection. Upon entering the interior of the home, we both picked up two toddlers out their beds, and at once smelled the urine stains in the beds all around. I played with the blind boy, who clung to my arm, and just wanted to touch my skin. He also loved it when I clapped his hands. I'm not sure what I was feeling at this stage, my heart told me to not to feel pity, and just enjoy the moment, and I went with this lovely feeling. It wasn't that I wanted to feel self-worth, just love. I am happy for feeling this, and I really expected to be bawling my eyes out at the sight or thought of even visiting the orphanage. I never did, instead I enjoyed every minute, and would do it all again soon. We went onto visit the other little building, where lots of little ones between the ages of 18months - 3years, were grabbing onto my legs and calling me "mondele" which means "white person" in Lingala ( local Congolese language). I laughed at the thought of this, and then they were touching my hair as I bent down. I realised, after playing with them for over an hour, that besides basic needs, these children are in need of just someone to show them affection and attention for a few minutes, if not longer. It makes me think of just how much my own child needs.
I now sit and wonder what will become of them, if they are deprived at such an early age, how will they ever know how to love and live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

passo per caso nel tuo blog
un saluto from Italy, ciao