Monday, February 09, 2009

Au Revoir!





News is out and it's official, we are leaving Kinshasa at the end of April Not the best news, but news anyway. It's been a great journey, and although I must say, in beginning I thought I'd never be able to feel at home here. I'm happy to say, with persistent good thoughts it became a reality. I am extremely sad to be leaving. My life is an absolute joy at present, there are always good and bad days, and that is if you live in any city in the world. What better life could I possibly want than where I am right now. We all have different desires, so what some may think is not desirable, makes me content. I love the French word " content" which means happy. There is a definite similarity in that being content, you are automatically happy. The wonderful friend's we've made as a family, my girlfriend's, the activities, social clubs, sport and relaxed home life, the gardener, our excellent driver, the weather ( I love the fact we are able to swim all year round, in the outdoors)


Our beautiful colonial home, and everyone that visits us, mentions this fact, is being demolished to accommodate a high rise building of apartments. Unfortunately, with rentals being in the region of $9000 - $12000 a month for a home in the central area of Gombe, most expats cannot afford a freestanding home, and stay mostly in compounds. Pity that they are tearing down the city, and taking out all the beautifully lined avenue of trees, to make way for a new 4 laned main road.

So for us, it's back to normal life in Cape Town with no more chances of catching malaria, amoeba, typhoid, bronchitus, and any other disease. One of my selections for returning would be to be able to go to the cinema, shopping mall, eat healthy fresh food, "Kahui" here we come......

2 comments:

Ronita Glanville said...

Hey Ing! What great news! (in a way!). Sooner than you thought? We might see you back in Cape Town too, Peter jobless at the end of March due to being retrenched but who knows what life will bring us in the next 6 weeks...love and hugs X

Anonymous said...

So we may meet up again in CT after all. Scrapping again? Times are tough all around the world, but CT always beckons us.... Take CAre and hi to all yr boys!