Monday, October 13, 2008

FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD!

I did mention about the beginning of this year, that I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about bringing meat into the country. I do agree, it's a bit ridiculous when you can get just about everything here, at a price of course. But, we all love our food, and we get used to a certain kind of lifestyle when it comes to food. We are spoilt for choice in a Western World, especially when you think of retail food stores like "Woolies" for all you South Africans. Convenience, at it's best! You just cannot get any better. Today I went shopping at new place called Kin Foods, and it's a cold food storage warehouse, where a list of meat products are displayed on a black board, and you order off the board. Well, just about everything I wanted was out of stock, excepting the frozen chicken pieces. I then had to go to another store "Hasson & Frere"to buy something else, and then another store to buy bread " Pelou", as I couldn't find the bread aisle at all, either that, or they were also out of stock. That's the story of shopping experiences, it could take you an entire morning to do fill one grocery bag. Take for instance, I was looking for Pili-Pili ( the strong chillies -homegrown) in a plastic bottle. I had bought it before, and seen it at the one shop, but last Friday, I needed it for Paul to take with for my cousin, who had requested it. I went from shop to shop, but only found these huge bottles. Never did find it, until today, it popped up while shopping for cheese.
Well now I have just emailed a long list of meat for Paul to bring back with him. I must say, it's relatively easy on SAA, just pop it into a cooler bag, and checked it through from Johannesburg. The only problem we have is, that we always have to stay over one night en route, as there are no early morning flights to make the connection from Cape Town. So the oddest request is usually to ask housekeeping at the hotel to store it for you. Phew! What a mission! But well worth it!

No comments: