Thursday, May 15, 2008

Congolese Day!




Thank goodness that we finally have a public holiday in the Congo tomorrow. I assume it's Congolese Day, as we were asked to dress the children in traditional clothes for school today. I must say it was a very vibrant atmosphere when I dropped Torden off this morning. Tiny tots as well as the older children all dressed up in brightly coloured outfits. I will post a picture tomorrow. The Congo is known for it's bright waxed sealed cotton fabric, and is definitely exclusive to this country. West Africa definitely has a different type of fabric and the colours are not as bright. The women wear tight fitting long skirts with matching blouses that usually has a long cuff or a frill. Most expats, as well as myself have had an outfit or two made, just to wear to an event or just for fun. The Congolese take great pride in their appearances, all women no matter how poor, will always have a piece of material either tied in a sarong or in a dress, usually beautifully clothed from head to toe. Well it's been a busy week, and still haven't managed to get to the Golf Club. I have a date tomorrow with a friend who knows how to play, but not sure if I will make it as I did something weird to my lower back. There is no chiropractor in Kinshasa, so will have to get someone to try to click my back. You know that one, where you stand back to back with someone, and they lift you up with the arms. I wonder if it will work with Paul....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ingrid,

Just thought I'd say hi! I'm still reading your blog whenever I get a chance.

Keep on writing - it's great to see what you guys are up to.

Missing you all!
Norm