Wednesday, February 06, 2008

How to live the life of an expat?


We had a guest over for dinner last night. She flew up from Cape Town for an audit at Paul's company for the week. I found myself talking mostly about our life as expats in Kinshasa, and never once felt homesick. A few months ago, I would've wanted to fly back home with her and neatly tucked myself into her suitcase! The way of life grows on you, and you soon realise that it's a good life! For instance, today I did my morning yoga, while looking onto the lush, green garden of our home. Our gardener had just mowed the lawn, and was busy sweeping it with a broom, yes he brushes the lawn, so it falls in one direction. Yesterday, I gave him some seeds to start a vegetable garden, and he says that it should start producing carrots, broccoli and lettuce (the broccoli and carrots are scarce) in no time. This afternoon, I took Torden for a tennis lesson, and even his coach was surprised at his keen interest and ability to connect with the ball. Thereafter we met up with a few South Africans at the river, where we walked and biked with 10 kids. There was no talk of crime,no stressing about what to cook for dinner, just a casual walk with idle chit chat. I am really enjoying that the South African wives really take the effort to meet up regularly with the children. We were supposed to meet up for pizza tonight, but was told to keep off the streets due to tension in the air. So that is the life. One minute you're up and the next you are just shoved into reality.

No comments: